feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Cincinatti Master's Series

Labels:


Roddick Withdraws Due to Neck Injury

No. 6 seed and 2003 champion Andy Roddick withdrew from the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters on Tuesday night due to a neck spasm.
Roddick took the court with German Philipp Kohlschreiber but then after the warm-up decided he couldn't play the second round match. He was replaced in the draw by lucky loser Woong-Sun Jun of Korea.
Roddick took the microphone and said to the crowd, "I woke up today with my neck hurting and could hardly look side to side. I wanted to come and give it a go. But I wanted to give some one else a chance to play. It kills me that I have to walk off without playing."
Shortly after, Roddick addressed the media, saying, "The shoulder has not been brought up. It was more of an inflamed cuff type thing. This is a neck spasm something. I mean, it (shoulder) hasn't been brought up today, not even as far as questions from the doctors or whatever."
Roddick also added, "I mean I've been feeling fine. I got in practices yesterday and the days before. I fell asleep last night. I was pretty tired. I fell asleep and woke up and I still had the lights on in my room. I just kind of passed out. I think when I did, we're guessing it was in had the wrong position or whatnot. I woke up this morning and something in my neck and kind of any activity is causing it to flare up. I went out and tried to warm for about five minutes at about 5:00. I mean, we've been getting treatment all day. You asked what was leading up. Went to a chiropractor and we had Doug work on it. We've had kind of everyone take a crack at it today.
"Tried to hit at 5:00; didn't go so hot. Went out for some more treatment. Tried to take some painkillers and whatnot. You know, I thought I might be able to give it a go if it didn't get any worse. My second or third serve in warm up out there just got definitely worse, kind of just to the point where it's tough to move my head right now."
Roddick plans to return to action next week in Los Angeles followed by Washington, D.C. in leading up to the US Open. "I'd love to play those tournaments and actually get some matches in both weeks and actually feel like a tennis player again where you go to the courts and play a match and go home and get ready for the next day. That's a better routine to have. That's the one I like. I know L.A. is only a 28 draw, which means I could probably get a late start there, which will probably be a good thing."






0 comments:

Post a Comment